Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting a trigger to a 1911

4 posters

Go down

Fitting a trigger to a 1911 Empty Fitting a trigger to a 1911

Post by rlabbe 7/8/2011, 9:21 am

I'm a bit of a beginner, both with 1911s and gunsmithing in general.

The stock trigger shoe in my 1911 has a bit of vertical play. I haven't measured it, but somewhere in the 1/16" range. I've read that ideally there should be no play, so in my last Brownell's order I ordered a trigger that stated "requires gunsmith fitting", assuming that it was a bit oversized and would require filing to fit. No, it fits exactly the same as my stock trigger.

So, two questions - am I correct in assuming that a good wad gun should not have any play in the trigger? If so, which trigger brands are truly oversized and require fitting? If it matters, I prefer a long trigger.

The trigger I bought has a shoe that measure .924" tall, and the arms are .232" tall.

rlabbe

Back to top Go down

Fitting a trigger to a 1911 Empty Re: Fitting a trigger to a 1911

Post by Myke 8/6/2011, 12:57 pm

If nobody jumps in here to help - try this site..
http://forums.1911forum.com/
I've found them to be a pretty open group to helping.. and some really good smiths too...

Mike

Myke

Back to top Go down

Post by rlabbe 8/6/2011, 9:35 pm

Thanks, Myke.

rlabbe

Back to top Go down

Post by FaisalYamin 8/12/2011, 11:13 am

A little play is fine, as long as it doesn't interfere with you squeezing straight back.

If you can keep it consistent its not an issue.

But trigger is a critical part and you should have a gunsmith fit it or some one who has experience.

Also use Moly around the trigger it will help.
FaisalYamin
FaisalYamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryan Coyle 8/12/2011, 2:06 pm

Use a pencil to repeatedly push the trigger back while you're watching from the side.
If the trigger tracks back straight without any vertical wobble then the trigger bow is snug in its tracks and the gap between the trigger and frame is merely cosmetic. If you can feel any grittiness or 'hitch' in the travel it's likely the trigger bow rails in the frame could use a light polish - the square end of a chopstick with a piece of 600 grit glued on is the right size to run down the rail tracks.

If there's any wobble - like it's trying to pivot up or down, you could still shoot it accurately BUT, the extra opportunity for wobble is not helpful. Call or browse EGW's web site and get an oversize trigger you can file/stone to size.
/B

Bryan Coyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down