Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights

+6
Jack H
zanemoseley
CR10X
LenV
AllAces
IT1 Wes
10 posters

Go down

Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights Empty Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights

Post by IT1 Wes 9/13/2018, 3:42 am

Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights The-Verdict-is-In

Acquiring and re-acquiring the dot after recoil is a matter of training.

Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights

I performed a simple comparison of two general types of red dot sights to help me decide which more costly sight to try next.  For testing purposes, all four sights were under $100.00. All judgments are IMHO of course. Only comparable attributes were mentioned, not a complete review of all four. The two most important factors to me in this comparison were shading from the sun and initially and after recoil finding and centering the dot.

Tube Type
Bushnell Trophy 1x28 Red Dot Reflex Sight
Bushnell TRS-25 Trophy 1x25 Red Dot Reflex Sight

Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights 0001   Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights 0002

HUD Type
Sightmark Sure Shot Plus 1x33x23 Red Dot Reflex Sight
Sightmark Ultra Shot Plus 1x33x24 Red Dot Reflex Sight

Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights 0003   Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights 0008

Both tube types had good shading from the sun. Both tube-type sights presented difficulty initially and after recoil finding and centering the dot. Both Bushnell sights had almost invisible captions and direction arrows for adjusting windage and elevation. Bushnell provided no device for adjusting windage and elevation relying on the user to have a suitable screwdriver.

The Sure Shot had little shading from the sun. The Ultra Shot had more adequate shading from the sun. Both HUD type sights were much better at initially and after recoil finding and centering the dot. They both had slightly more viewing area than the tube type. The Sightmark sights had clearly painted captions and direction arrows for adjusting windage and elevation. Sightmark provided an excellent Allen wrench with a long handle for adjusting windage and elevation.

IMHO the HUD type won out. Initially and after recoil finding and centering the dot was the more critical factor in this comparison. In my first foray into more costly sights, I am looking at the C-More Serendipity. Its popularity and longevity in the open classes of other shooting sports were a decisive factor. Its integrated mount makes the sight free of the constant reciprocating with the slide thus reducing stress on the sight while not interfering with field stripping. The C-More Railway with its ability to mount on a Picatinny or Weaver rail will mount on pistols with one of these rails such as the S&W Victory 22lr pistol, the Ruger 22/45 22lr pistol, or the Standard Ruger 22lr pistol.

Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights 0004

I look forward to comments on the tube type versus HUD type red dot sights question.

For more information these sites will be helpful:

https://www.bushnelloptics.com/

http://www.sightmark.com/index.php

https://cmore.com/

http://www.smith-wesson.com/brands/sw

https://ruger.com/

Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights 0009  Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights 0010
Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights 0005  Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights 0006

Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights 0007     Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights 0008

Last edited by IT1 Wes on 9/23/2018, 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
IT1 Wes
IT1 Wes

https://bookspublicdomain.com

Back to top Go down

Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights Empty Re: Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights

Post by AllAces 9/13/2018, 4:04 am

Ultradot
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights Empty Re: Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights

Post by LenV 9/13/2018, 4:10 am

I think you missed a biggy in your test procedure. What sight did you shoot the best group with? Another question you have probably never been asked is. Did it group better at 50 then it did at 25? I'm talking yds for both. It is very possible for a pistol to shoot better groups at 50 yds then 25 yds. When you get too in-expensive of scope. You start looking at parallax problems. Some times major parallax problems. Especially if your having a hard time finding the dot. At 50yds most dots have solved that problem and shoot where you think your aiming. That was why I wondered how they grouped.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 9/13/2018, 4:14 am

Go to a bullseye match.  Look around at the guns and scopes on the bench; particularly at the Masters and High Masters.  Get good equipment, get shooting.  All will eventually come into focus.  

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 9/13/2018, 4:32 am

Your observation on which dot is easier to acquire is entirely opposite of what I've experienced and read about. The HUD sights have no tube to help sight down to find the dot.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 9/13/2018, 10:36 am

There is a major you factor in re-finding and centering the dot. 
Get an Ultradot.  Or get an Aimpoint with shades added.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by IT1 Wes 9/13/2018, 6:39 pm

Jack H wrote:There is a major you factor in re-finding and centering the dot. 
Get an Ultradot.  Or get an Aimpoint with shades added.

I did more internet shopping. These are Amazon Prime prices. Anything Aimpoint is ridiculously out of the question. Why pay more for a sight than a pistol?

Aimpoint 200369 Micro S-1 with Mount Matte black
$619.99
AimPoint 200180 Micro, T-2 2 MOA No Mount
$759.02
AimPoint 200170 Micro, T-2 2 MOA W/Standard Mount
$785.00

The Match Dot II is still under consideration. The 30mm tube would make it easier to find and focus on the dot initially and after recoil in rapid fire.
Ultra Dot Match Dot II Red Dot, 30mm, Black
$244.95
But a mounting rail and gunsmithing are required. That's another $150-$200.
I will do more comparison shooting between the Sightmark Ultra Shot Plus and the  Bushnell Trophy 1x28.

Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights 0006   Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights 0008 Not equally to scale with one another.

The Ultra Dot runners up are as follows:
Ultra Dot Ultradot 1" Red Dot 1" Black 4MOA
$389.13
Ultra Dot HD-Micro Red Dot, Black
$249.95
Ultra Dot 30mm Tube Matchdot Blk/Satin
$219.95
Ultra Dot Ultradot 30 Red Dot 30mm Black 4MOA
$197.05
Ultra Dot ULDT-0304S Red Dot Sight, Silver, 30mm
$197.96
Ultra Dot Match Dot Ultra Dot Red Dot 30mm Blk/Satin Matchdot
$190.00
Ultra Dot 4MOA Red Dot Sight, 1", Silver
$189.36

Thank you to everyone for providing your wisdom and experience to my decision making process.

Last edited by IT1 Wes on 9/23/2018, 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
IT1 Wes
IT1 Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 9/13/2018, 8:32 pm

Wes, these are in your price range. In stock, and work great. Says 5 moa but closer to 2 or 3. They are also very clear and round dot. I have not bought a new Ultradot since finding these. 158.49

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-s30-5-red-dot-electronic-30mm-sighting-device.html

Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights Opplanet-sightron-pistol-scope-red-dot-sight-s30-5-02092011
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by IT1 Wes 9/14/2018, 1:50 am

LenV wrote:Wes, these are in your price range. In stock, and work great. Says 5 moa but closer to 2 or 3. They are also very clear and round dot. I have not bought a new Ultradot since finding these. 158.49

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-s30-5-red-dot-electronic-30mm-sighting-device.html

Tube Type Versus HUD (Heads up Display) Type Red Dot Sights Opplanet-sightron-pistol-scope-red-dot-sight-s30-5-02092011

Thanks. I like the 30mm tube size. I Should be able to find rings for it too. I'll keep it on the list should I go for tube type over HUD type.
IT1 Wes
IT1 Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 9/23/2018, 5:26 pm

How did that old saying go?  Something like "Buy once cry once."  Laughing 
FWIW once you have a quality product the only real difference in the HUD type and tube type red dots are the tube.  The HUD is just the tube red dot with the tube removed.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by IT1 Wes 9/23/2018, 11:44 pm

IT1 Wes
IT1 Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow 9/24/2018, 6:54 pm

I find I have a astigmatism and my red dot in my Ultra dots are distorted and have went back to using my Burris Gil Hebert 1x pistol scopes.
Just bought a new rifle scope by Burris that has a illuminated reticle which has a red dot and have no problems with it.
What can I use that would help eliminate my problem?
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by IT1 Wes 9/24/2018, 7:02 pm

Rodger Barthlow wrote:I find I have a astigmatism and my red dot in my Ultra dots are distorted and have went back to using my Burris Gil Hebert 1x pistol scopes.
Just bought a new rifle scope by Burris that has a illuminated reticle which has a red dot and have no problems with it.

I would try out that Burris for a few sessions at the range before making another change.
IT1 Wes
IT1 Wes

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 9/24/2018, 7:40 pm

Rodger Barthlow wrote:I find I have a astigmatism and my red dot in my Ultra dots are distorted and have went back to using my Burris Gil Hebert 1x pistol scopes.

I find my lens Rx fixes my astigmatism.  Why not yours?
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab 9/24/2018, 8:23 pm

To the op.  It sounds to me that you are having a hard time finding your dot and that is the reason you are looking at different red dots.  Maybe a different approach could be working on your stance.

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 9/24/2018, 8:35 pm

285wannab wrote:To the op.  It sounds to me that you are having a hard time finding your dot and that is the reason you are looking at different red dots.  Maybe a different approach could be working on your stance.
+1 & grip/wrist breaking
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down