Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Range Officer Firing Pin Stop Replacement

5 posters

Go down

Range Officer Firing Pin Stop Replacement Empty Range Officer Firing Pin Stop Replacement

Post by ScottB 3/29/2024, 5:23 pm

My Range Officer has a cracked firing pin stop so I'm looking for recommendations on a drop-in replacement.  I'm not a gunsmith and don't think I could fit an oversized stop on my own -- but drop-in parts I can do.

I checked several places (EGW, Wilson Combat, Brownells) but I didn't see anything that looked like it would work.  Most of the stops listed as drop-in were rounded on the top and wouldn't work with the Range Officers adjustable sights.

The last time this happened Springfield sent me a replacement under warranty.  I could go that route again, but I'd rather have something that will last longer than a couple of seasons.

Thanks,

Scott
ScottB
ScottB

Back to top Go down

Range Officer Firing Pin Stop Replacement Empty Re: Range Officer Firing Pin Stop Replacement

Post by JRV 3/29/2024, 5:32 pm

A fitted FPS will last longer.  Properly fit parts don’t break easily. A loose FPS will crack eventually.

It’s really easy to fit a FPS.  You just need some files and patience.  Or a few bucks for your local gunsmith.

Last edited by JRV on 3/30/2024, 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total

JRV

Al, rckendall and ScottB like this post

Back to top Go down

Range Officer Firing Pin Stop Replacement Empty Re: Range Officer Firing Pin Stop Replacement

Post by NukeMMC 3/29/2024, 5:54 pm

This one from EGW is cut correctly.  Yes it will need fitting but as was said, files, stones and patience will make it happen.
https://egwguns.com/oversized-firing-pin-stop-series-70-45-acp-blue-cut-for-adjustable-sight
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

chiz1180 and ScottB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottB 3/30/2024, 7:26 am

Looks like a fitted stop is the way to go.  For $15 plus shipping I'm willing to give it a try.  Thanks for the feedback!
ScottB
ScottB

rckendall and 1911186 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV 3/30/2024, 8:37 am

Get a couple so you can give yourself a little grace when fitting. Another good option is to have a gunsmith fit two or three at the same time—you never have to worry about it again.

JRV

ScottB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 4/1/2024, 6:54 pm

ScottB wrote:My Range Officer has a cracked firing pin stop so I'm looking for recommendations on a drop-in replacement.  I'm not a gunsmith and don't think I could fit an oversized stop on my own -- but drop-in parts I can do.

I checked several places (EGW, Wilson Combat, Brownells) but I didn't see anything that looked like it would work.  Most of the stops listed as drop-in were rounded on the top and wouldn't work with the Range Officers adjustable sights.

The last time this happened Springfield sent me a replacement under warranty.  I could go that route again, but I'd rather have something that will last longer than a couple of seasons.

Thanks,

Scott
If you are going to fit one , get the square one from EGW. Slightly radius the bottom and your are GTG. If you want a drop in call Springfield I am sure they have one.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

ScottB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PacFltShooter Yesterday at 8:28 pm

I must have missed this but why the need for a square bottomed FPS?  What purpose does it serve?  Will other parts, i.e. springs need to be replace to work with it?
Thanks,
Ralph
PacFltShooter
PacFltShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Yesterday at 8:29 pm

Allows you to make your own radius on the bottom.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by PacFltShooter Yesterday at 8:35 pm

NukeMMC wrote:Allows you to make your own radius on the bottom.
Nuke.
Understand that but to what end?  Is there something incorrect about the FPS radius as it comes from the factory?  How is this new radius determined, i,e, how much radius do you put on it.  What it the reason for needing to make your own radius?
Thanks,
Ralph
PacFltShooter
PacFltShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV Today at 5:12 am

Smaller radius means the slide pushes back on the hammer closer to the hammer’s axis of rotation. That means the slide has less leverage overcoming the force of the mainspring as the slide cycle backwards. The slide sheds more of its energy overcoming the mainspring, so its velocity at the end of the recoil stroke is reduced. So, less felt recoil and muzzle flip.

JRV

Back to top Go down

Post by PacFltShooter Today at 5:38 am

Got it. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
PacFltShooter
PacFltShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down