Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Times getting short, I want to get a P100 tab before I retire.

5 posters

Go down

Times getting short, I want to get a P100 tab before I retire. Empty Times getting short, I want to get a P100 tab before I retire.

Post by Docmedic Wed May 08, 2024 5:43 pm

I'm about to hit 22 years in the Army and before I get booted out (probably another 8 years) I would like to earn my Presidents 100 tab. Now a bit a background I'm a GM in USPSA and multi-gun Master in IDPA. Making GM damn near took me 10 years with no formal training and just enough practice to start winning matches.

Outside of the 6 Combat EIC points I have from shooting M17's I don't have any real experience in Service Pistol Matches at Camp Perry and hell I never been there either, I always thought Bullseye was for the old guys... Well it turns out I became old not to long ago.

I'm trying to develop a structured Dryfire & Livefire practice program but I'm struggling on what to work on. I can keep them in the black at 25 "most" of the time but its not like I'm break 85's on Rapids and Timed. The onehanded shooting this still pretty new to me, hard to rip my offhand off that pistol.

One of my issues is I don't know if I really have the correct shooting form either. Seen all the youtube vids of Zins and AMU talk about it and pretty much built my stance from that. 'vertical with shooting lane, offhand in pocket body relaxed but shooting arm stiff, gun pointing to target with a stiff handshake grip' I would say my hold is pretty tight but there are times when I brake a shot, called it good but actually tossed in the white somewhere, its never consistent but it "feels" consistent is the best way I can put it.

I'm going to see if the ARMU can take me out for the week at Perry in July just so I can experience the full match. But prior to that I want to make sure I do every damn thing prior, but this is where I need help to understand what and how I should practice.

Current gear (using for bullseye)
Sig P210, that will need some work on the trigger.
S&W 41
STI 2011 Edge in .45 that shoots lights out. (needs trigger work to bring up the weight.)

What do you all suggest that I can work on?

Docmedic

Back to top Go down

Times getting short, I want to get a P100 tab before I retire. Empty Re: Times getting short, I want to get a P100 tab before I retire.

Post by Wobbley Wed May 08, 2024 7:10 pm

The P100 is slow fire and 50 yard centered. So, I’d approach training to that by tending to concentrate on 50 yard slow fire.

BUT…(you knew this was coming, right?)

I would run through the USMC Pistol Workbook ( a version is online here). Using your S&W 41 and your Sig 210 as your Centerfire. For that buy a case (5000) of 22 Std Velocity and 2 cases of 1000 that shoots reasonably well in your 9mm. Shoot that for the work book. If a particular stage proves elusive (for me that was two consecutive 10 tens at 25 yards), continue with the exercise, just return to it until you get it. Dabble in the 45. Once you get comfortable in single handed pistol, get on the mailing list of every marksmanship unit you can find. Search for FORSCOM matches you can find, if not find the CMP ( theCMP.org ) and see if there are any matches listed in your area. Nothing like match experience! This year may be optimistic for being allowed to tag along with the USAMU team, but next year is doable.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

john bickar, Allen Barnett, Dan Webb and samtoast like this post

Back to top Go down

Times getting short, I want to get a P100 tab before I retire. Empty Re: Times getting short, I want to get a P100 tab before I retire.

Post by Docmedic Wed May 08, 2024 7:25 pm

Wobbley wrote:The P100 is slow fire and 50 yard centered.  So, I’d approach training to that by tending to concentrate on 50 yard slow fire.

BUT…(you knew this was coming, right?)

I would run through the USMC Pistol Workbook ( a version is online here).  Using your S&W 41 and your Sig 210 as your Centerfire.  For that buy a case (5000) of 22 Std Velocity and 2 cases of 1000 that shoots reasonably well in your 9mm. Shoot that for the work book.  If a particular stage proves elusive  (for me that was two consecutive 10 tens at 25 yards), continue with the exercise,  just return to it until you get it.  Dabble in the 45.  Once you get comfortable in single handed pistol, get on the mailing list of every marksmanship unit you can find.  Search for FORSCOM matches you can find, if not find the CMP ( theCMP.org ) and see if there are any matches listed in your area.   Nothing like match experience!  This year may be optimistic for being allowed to tag along with the USAMU team, but next year is doable.  

Thanks! That is some great info right there. And to clarify, I'm in the ARMU (Army Reserve Marksmanship Unit) under the CAST (Combat Action Shooting Team) We just got done shooting AFSAM and the Pistol team NCOIC was talking about bringing more people to Perry for this year, I put my name in but I'm not technically a 'cheap date'. So we'll see what happens, but I figure either way I can start getting serious in practice. Something to note, just talked to the Pistol NCOIC and he just let me know that my STI .45 Edge is legal to shoot in service matches too. So I might look into using that instead of the P210. Now need to to find this USMC pistol workbook.

Docmedic

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Wed May 08, 2024 8:47 pm

Docmedic wrote:Now need to to find this USMC pistol workbook.
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t5966-usmc-pistol-team-workbook

Ashley beat me to it. I usually ask, "where are you on the USMC workbook?"

Be prepared to stand out in the middle of a 150-acre cow field in the f*cking pouring rain with 400 of your closest friends.

If Rob Leatham ("TGO") can make P100, you can too.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed May 08, 2024 9:05 pm

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t5966-usmc-pistol-team-workbook

I’m working through it myself. If I may, can you identify the base or installation you’re currently serving in? That might help to identify other opportunities.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Docmedic Wed May 08, 2024 11:04 pm

Wobbley wrote:https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t5966-usmc-pistol-team-workbook

I’m working through it myself.  If I may, can you identify the base or installation you’re currently serving in?  That might help to identify other opportunities.
Fort Carson, Colorado.

I'll be amazed if you find anything bullseye here. We are pretty deep in USPSA/ IDPA/ multi-gun here.

Docmedic

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed May 08, 2024 11:45 pm

Times getting short, I want to get a P100 tab before I retire. Img_0422

https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=matchRegistrationListUpcoming&filter=location_state

There ain’t much near you… but you could come to the Western CMP games in early October in Phoenix AZ. This is essentially a minin”Camp Perry…. There would be the Phoenix Mid-Winter pistol matches at Phoenix Rod and gun Club,next February.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Thu May 09, 2024 12:25 am

Docmedic wrote:

I’m working through it myself.  If I may, can you identify the base or installation you’re currently serving in?  That might help to identify other opportunities.
Fort Carson, Colorado.

I'll be amazed if you find anything bullseye here. We are pretty deep in USPSA/ IDPA/ multi-gun here.

Colorado Rifle Club. Byers. Next 2700 match on May 19. You'd be welcome. Send me an email address and I'll forward the program etc to you.

straybrit

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Thu May 09, 2024 12:26 am

Docmedic wrote:

Fort Carson, Colorado.

USOPTC, though.

It's not Bullseye, but you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy better opportunity to improve your one-handed shooting skills.

There is a lot of crossover between ISSF-style shooting and Bullseye. Take advantage of that opportunity while you are so close.

You might learn something. I will warn you that ISSF disciplines are HFW.

Last edited by john bickar on Thu May 09, 2024 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Thu May 09, 2024 12:35 am

straybrit wrote:
Docmedic wrote:

Fort Carson, Colorado.

Colorado Rifle Club. Byers. Next 2700 match on May 19. You'd be welcome. Send me an email address and I'll forward the program etc to you.
I thought you were in AZ? You're in CO now?

(Assuming that straybrit is who I think it is, that used to shoot with us in CA.)

I shot at Byers a few times when I lived in COS. It's way out East. Good Camp Perry training.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Thu May 09, 2024 12:38 am

john bickar wrote:
straybrit wrote:
Docmedic wrote:

Fort Carson, Colorado.

I thought you were in AZ? You're in CO now?

(Assuming that straybrit is who I think it is, that used to shoot with us in CA.)

I shot at Byers a few times when I lived in COS. It's way out East. Good Camp Perry training.

Yeah - been here for a while now. I just enjoy the 1000 mile drive to Phoenix. Or something like that.

Byers is indeed out in the prairie and prone to weather.

straybrit

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Thu May 09, 2024 1:02 am

The Olympic Center….would be a great place to work on air pistol.  That is a great way to build slow fire skills. There MAY be some bullseye or Olympic activity at the USAF Academy.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Thu May 09, 2024 1:31 am

Wobbley wrote:The Olympic Center….would be a great place to work on air pistol.  That is a great way to build slow fire skills.  There MAY be some bullseye or Olympic activity at the USAF Academy.

I cannot pinpoint when NRA introduced HM for pistol. Mid-90s?

I can say that I made the jump from MA to HM in Bullseye once I started shooting a lot of air pistol.

A lot else going on in my life at that time (lots of HFW), but I'm pretty confident in saying that if you can break 570s in air pistol, you can make HM in Bullseye, and get P100 along the way. P100 will be a just a glimmer in your rear-view mirror.

If you're stationed at Fort Carson, I would definitely recommend taking advantage of that opportunity at USOPTC.
john bickar
john bickar

bruce martindale likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Docmedic Thu May 09, 2024 9:37 am

straybrit wrote:
Docmedic wrote:

Fort Carson, Colorado.

Driving 2.5 hours is a little out there for me, but I'll have to pass for this month. I'll be shooting Heavy Metal 3gun National Championships in Raton during that time frame.

Docmedic

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Thu May 09, 2024 1:04 pm

I found the MTU workbook difficult to use because it didn’t explain HOW to achieve the given goals. Without the needed training and coaching, I felt like a monkey with a typewriter trying to copy Shakespear.

Do you my book? It’s only $10

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Thu May 09, 2024 5:57 pm

The USMC workbook is a training regimen, but is results oriented rather than “how-to”. Which makes some sense in that your build, basic strength, and general physiology dictates a lot of the “how-to”.

It looks like the only place nearby to shoot Bullseye is in Byers CO. But they do have a Regional coming next month. That may have a CMP Service Pistol matche?
Times getting short, I want to get a P100 tab before I retire. Img_0423
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down