Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Bullets

5 posters

Go down

Star Bullets Empty Star Bullets

Post by JLK 8/17/2011, 2:06 pm

A few months ago someone posted that Star Bullets, the lead 185gr HPSWC, were going to be
back in production.
Anyone heard anything else?
Thanks!
JLK
JLK
JLK

Back to top Go down

Star Bullets Empty Re: Star Bullets

Post by DavidR 8/18/2011, 7:45 am

Star company is history, and rumors of a come back have floated for years. One company makes an exact replica of The 185 LSWC-HP swagged bullet dipped in match lube that is the same as the original STAR. They go for 101.00 per 1000, that includes shipping.
Delta Precision http://www.precisiondelta.com/detail.php?sku=B-45-185-LHP
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 12/3/2011, 7:22 pm

10c for lead and 13c for jkt?

May be the best 3c you can spend

Are the lead shipped in tubes? If not, they can become junk with one drop of the bulk box.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 12/5/2011, 12:21 pm

Bruce has made a very important point.

Are the lead shipped in tubes? If not, they can become junk with one drop of the bulk box.

Once the bullet base is dented, it's going to be a flier, no if's and's or buts. The only question is how bad. This is the reason I started casting my own. I now have 100% control over the bullet quality that goes into my ammo.

For those who don't cast, you have several options;
a. Shoot jacketed, can be very expensive.
b. Cull out the bad bases/good bases and save them for the appropriate line.
c. Get in contact with a good local caster and have him/her make you up a batch.

When I first started shooting BE, I used whatever came off the store shelf. Some good...some not so good. However my skill level probably couldn't tell the difference. I did have a good local bullet caster, but his product was still subject to the store clerk dropping the boxes.

If you select your bullets carefully you can make some excellent quality loads. If not, you know the drill.

FWIW
Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe C 12/5/2011, 9:29 pm

Al wrote:Bruce has made a very important point.

Once the bullet base is dented, it's going to be a flier, no if's and's or buts. The only question is how bad.
Al

With all due respect, this is not entirely true. Over the years I have shot thousands upon thousands of Star, Magnus and now the new Zero bullet in ransom rest testing of guns. These bullets have been shipped to me via USPS and UPS (which is not the best way by any means) in boxes. On the rare occasion there will be fliers. But on the other hand, the old Star bullets that I still have some 10,000 or so as well as the new Zero bullets that were shipped to me continue to produce groups out of guns in the sub 1.5" range at 50 yards for 10 shots.

The reason may be that the bullets were, like the Zero and DP bullets of today, soft swagged bullets so that when the round is fired it causes the base of the bullet to expand and negates the damage that may or may not have been caused during shipping. But from what I have personally seen over the years, most fliers out of guns that are being properly tested are due more to mechanical issues with the gun than with the projectile being used.

All that being said, I still shoot mostly Noslers and Zero 185g HP's for final testing. But unless you can hold sub 1.5" at 50 yards consistently you probably don't need to spend the extra $.03 per round...in my opinion.

Best Regards,

Joe C

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 12/6/2011, 7:30 am

The only bullets i ever heard of shipped in tubes was the old black lubed star lead ones, that was because of nasty lube they used not to protect the bullets. Ive also shot thousands of shipped bullets and ones hand delivered and unless you have some that were really dropped hard i have found no difference. I always look at what im loading and if one looks bad i set it aside. Your more likely to have a bad bullet from production issues, than shipping damage.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down