Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Accu-rails on SS slide?

+4
DavidR
Jon Eulette
BE Mike
straybrit
8 posters

Go down

Accu-rails on SS slide? Empty Accu-rails on SS slide?

Post by straybrit 4/28/2016, 9:40 am

So my Kimber TLEII which I use as a wad gun is showing signs of wear (after 7 years and many thousands of rounds). Specifically the slide/frame fit is no longer very tight. This became really noticeably when I took delivery of my RO ball gun. A knowledgeable fellow shooter suggested that I look into having accu-rails fitted. A fairly lengthy search seems to suggest that one has to go to a smith licensed by Bob Kreiger - but most of the info I can find is at least 5 years old.

Anyone in here got any observations on how best to improve things or recommendations on a bullseye smith that could fit rails if deemed appropriate. I'm not looking to do anything until after the summer match season dies down but I suspect I may have to get it on someone's schedule.

Thanks
Derek

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Accu-rails on SS slide? Empty Re: Accu-rails on SS slide?

Post by BE Mike 4/28/2016, 9:48 am

I don't know about a SS slide, but when I wanted a tired old Colt series 70 ball gun tightened, I sent it to Larry Carter (Larry has Accu-Rails on all of his 1911's). I would suggest contacting Larry. Here's a link: http://www.larrysguns.com/ContactUs.aspx
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 4/28/2016, 9:49 am

Accu Rails
Doug Jones 
248-852-6490
$215
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 4/28/2016, 12:07 pm

BE Mike wrote:I don't know about a SS slide, but when I wanted a tired old Colt series 70 ball gun tightened, I sent it to Larry Carter (Larry has Accu-Rails on all of his 1911's). I would suggest contacting Larry. Here's a link: http://www.larrysguns.com/ContactUs.aspx
Larrys accurailed guns were done by doug jones, the inventor of the system sold him the business long ago however I would not recommend doing this. We have had Doug do several in the past 2 years and not one was a good job. They all came back either loose or so tight we had to re rail them to get them going. He has done very nice jobs in the past but the experience of mine and two friends were not good at all. I sent mine back three times and Doug was nice even paid shipping twice but for what ever reason he could never get it right. I settled for the best I could get which was as loose as before he started. Plus beware he cuts your slide and frame and you can never go back after that it will need the rails forever.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 4/28/2016, 1:00 pm

Sorry to hear that... I do them, and when over loaded, I sent some to Doug.. The ones he did for me were fine..
It's not a job for the beginner.. Everything, all planes and axes must to be exact. It is the ultimate system for the frame and slide..
Accu-rails on SS slide? DSC01520
Accu-rails on SS slide? DSC01517
Accu-rails on SS slide? DSC01137
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 4/28/2016, 3:11 pm

DavidR wrote:
BE Mike wrote:I don't know about a SS slide, but when I wanted a tired old Colt series 70 ball gun tightened, I sent it to Larry Carter (Larry has Accu-Rails on all of his 1911's). I would suggest contacting Larry. Here's a link: http://www.larrysguns.com/ContactUs.aspx
Larrys accurailed guns were done by doug jones, the inventor of the system sold him the business long ago however I would not recommend doing this. We have had Doug do several in the past 2 years and not one was a good job. They all came back either loose or so tight we had to re rail them to get them going. He has done very nice jobs in the past but the experience of mine and two friends were not good at all. I sent mine back three times and Doug was nice even paid shipping twice but for what ever reason he could never get it right. I settled for the best I could get which was as loose as before he started. Plus beware he cuts your slide and frame and you can never go back after that it will need the rails forever.
Sorry to hear that. He did superb work on my hard ball pistol. Another thing about the system, is that a Marvel or Nelson, etc. .22 conversion doesn't fit on the Accu Rail frame.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 4/28/2016, 5:14 pm

It is a shame I have friends with great ones Doug did that have thousands of rounds thru and work smooth as glass but ours were not the case. Its all in the machine work and to be honest I think he over cut my slide as he sent it back twice with different sized rails in it trying to get the slop out. Its a great mod if you could get Jerry to do it id say go for it!
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid 4/28/2016, 9:05 pm

I just got one back from Doug Jones a couple months ago.  He did a good job.  Its a cmp service pistol, and it's nice and tight now, but it cycles wadcutter ammo even with a 16lb spring.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 4/29/2016, 9:05 am

DavidR wrote:
I'm curious. What brand slides and frames were sent for Accu-Rails in the bunch that you were dissatisfied with?
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 4/29/2016, 9:35 am

I don't think it would make that much difference what the brand was or the original condition because when he machines the frame and slide for those rails he's basically truing everything up to the rail. Over the years I've probably worked on 8 or 10 railed pistols and they were all pretty good.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 4/29/2016, 11:26 am

BE Mike wrote:
DavidR wrote:
I'm curious. What brand slides and frames were sent for Accu-Rails in the bunch that you were dissatisfied with?
He was sent a Colt 70s (mine) and two Caspians, the colt was old and was loose, the two caspians were new
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 4/29/2016, 11:28 am

rreid wrote:I just got one back from Doug Jones a couple months ago.  He did a good job.  Its a cmp service pistol, and it's nice and tight now, but it cycles wadcutter ammo even with a 16lb spring.
Great to hear maybe he found a cure for the problems he had with ours.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bradhe 5/4/2016, 11:35 am

How hard is it to set up to do this yourself (for personal guns)?  Where can I get a drawing?

thanks

Brad

bradhe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 5/4/2016, 11:52 am

At one time, Joe Cominolli sold a blue print system with just a slight variation, to avoid conflict with the Kreiger patent.
I don't know if he still offers it or not.. The tooling, fixtures, and instrumentation to cut and measure is rather costly...Like I said before, there is zero room for error..A three axis  DRO is a must in my opinion..
www.cominolli.com
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Saladman 5/5/2016, 4:17 pm

What kind of extra tooling and fixtures would you need?  (uninitiated here!)

Saladman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 5/5/2016, 8:08 pm

Saladman wrote:What kind of extra tooling and fixtures would you need?  (uninitiated here!)
Solid, rigid fixtures to hold the frame and slide and cut both planes in one set up..  Must be capable of being zeroed on all axis.. Dedicated carbide cutters.. to true the flats and a radius cutter to cut the grooves. Woodruff key cutters will not work.. .075  rod to cut into rail  length..a fixture to create the 90° bend in one end..Good instrumentation..dial indicators/center finders, Z axis tool setters,  etc.. As I mentioned.. A three axis DRO is essential in my opinion.  That alone is $3000.  The prints,  if still available were $1000. 10 years ago..And, we haven't bought the rails, cutters or instruments yet..
You must create a true plane to work from.. I always use bottom rail contact.. Because that's how I think it should be..Some have used top rail contact plane, but I avoid that.. Working on newer and quality parts, enabled excellent results.
I don't know what Doug is charging now, but it's worth it..
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Saladman 5/6/2016, 2:09 am

Informative response as usual, and I can agree fully with your last sentence as my Range Officer is absolutely superb feeling with the rails installed.  I guess I didn't appreciate just how much work goes into making such a hidden change!

Saladman

Back to top Go down

Post by bradhe 5/11/2016, 1:40 pm

I had a nice conversation with Joe, who has given this up. (though there may be someone else doing it he is going to hook me up with)

Any chance you would share a better picture of that drawing?

thanks

B

PS: By the way, thanks very much for going to the trouble to post all this stuff over time.  I learn something every time (todays lesson was on 41s) .  I am going to learn how to build a <2" gun if it kills me.

bradhe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down