Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An enjoyable side of Bullseye shooting. Collecting pistols I'll never shoot.

+12
javaduke
STEVE SAMELAK
Jon Math
Blsi2600
john bickar
orpheoet
Sa-tevp
LenV
Magload
willnewton
messenger
Jack H
16 posters

Go down

An enjoyable side of Bullseye shooting.  Collecting pistols I'll never shoot.   Empty An enjoyable side of Bullseye shooting. Collecting pistols I'll never shoot.

Post by Jack H 3/4/2017, 10:52 pm

I knew I shouldn't have stopped at Cabelas.  Sitting there, calling to me was a 1980 Olympic High Standard.  Absolutely newish condition.  With a 10% discount, a coupon, and some CC points, it wasn't badly priced.  So I broke down and bought it. 

Someone kick me  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

An enjoyable side of Bullseye shooting.  Collecting pistols I'll never shoot.   Empty Re: An enjoyable side of Bullseye shooting. Collecting pistols I'll never shoot.

Post by messenger 3/5/2017, 6:24 am

I know what you mean. I stopped by the local gun store just to shoot the breeze and what did I see in the used gun case? A really nice S&W 52 for $800. Then the two guys, one on each shoulder, started talking to me. The red one said, "you will never get a chance like this again!" The white one said " now you will have to get dies, brass, another Aimpoint, and send it to a gunsmith to have it drilled and taped for a rail. Oh yeah, it only came with one magazine." I had to leave right then or it was going to follow me home.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

An enjoyable side of Bullseye shooting.  Collecting pistols I'll never shoot.   Empty Re: An enjoyable side of Bullseye shooting. Collecting pistols I'll never shoot.

Post by willnewton 3/5/2017, 6:44 am

I want a S&W Model 25 revolver for no purpose at all except that I want a target revolver in 45 ACP.  Just waiting to find one at a good price, so I can love it and hold it and pet it and probably not shoot it much.   Smile

I did manage to resist a used Model 41 with 2nd barrel sitting in Perry's gun shop.  I fondled it for a while, but they wanted more than the price of a new one. Sad!
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 3/5/2017, 8:08 am

Welcome to the Gun of the Month Club.  I joined two years ago. Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 3/5/2017, 8:47 pm

I am so glad I never got caught up in that. I am sure I have never bought a pistol I didn't need, or might need, or think I might need or or or Rolling Eyes
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 3/5/2017, 9:01 pm

Like Motorcycle_Dan described in his thread Crazy Cat Lady , I try to fight being one.

A local store has a High Standard Space Gun that I really don't need. Plus a friend has a Sig Hammerli P240 for sale that hits all of my buttons : no parts, no gunsmiths, out of production. How to resist?
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet 3/5/2017, 9:10 pm

willnewton wrote:I want a S&W Model 25 revolver for no purpose at all except that I want a target revolver in 45 ACP.  Just waiting to find one at a good price, so I can love it and hold it and pet it and probably not shoot it much.   Smile

I did manage to resist a used Model 41 with 2nd barrel sitting in Perry's gun shop.  I fondled it for a while, but they wanted more than the price of a new one. Sad!
I'm totally with you on this. I have a 17, a few 14's....need the 25.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 3/5/2017, 9:30 pm

I have a 17 and two 14's. All full lug. I have never seen a full lug 25 but if I do..........Katy bar the door!!

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 3/5/2017, 9:43 pm

You people are sick, and I'll have nothing to do with you.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Blsi2600 3/5/2017, 10:20 pm

OK Bicker.  It's your turn to fess up.  Tell all.

My excuses.

1.  It seemed like a good deal at the time.

2.  I had more money than good judgement.

3.  My wife will not notice one more.

4.  I have an addiction.

Blsi2600

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math 3/6/2017, 12:30 pm

I’m glad to see I’m not alone.  My collection of pistols is small, but 16 gauge shotguns seem to follow me home like stray dogs.
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 3/6/2017, 1:10 pm

"How is that 45 different from the others you have"?  Well it's one I didn't have yet.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 3/6/2017, 1:17 pm

Jon Math wrote:I’m glad to see I’m not alone.  My collection of pistols is small, but 16 gauge shotguns seem to follow me home like stray dogs.

I only have one of those.  A Fox Model B 16 side by side.  Made about 1955 I think.

But my real collectin' is Model 70s.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math 3/6/2017, 1:18 pm

If, when I die, she sells them for what I told her I paid for them, someone is getting a wonderful deal Very Happy
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 3/6/2017, 1:34 pm

Wow, this is great thread! I always thought I'm a hoarder, turns out I'm just a collector! Thanks guys!

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by r_zerr 3/6/2017, 1:46 pm

I worked off and on, mostly fill in, at a local gun shop a number of years back. If I wasn't working, I was there drinking coffee and etc. It was very entertaining:

There are always regulars. They are generally using a firearm from 3 or 4 trades back to get the next one that they want, generally after they have taken it to the range, found out what made it tick, and the new and exciting had worn off of it for them. They were always after something "new."

Once you make the "Gun of the Month Club,"  you can always upgrade to "Gun of the Week," status.

Guys will say "I couldn't get it in the door because of my wife."  I learned to offer them a service with a small fee added on where I would take it and hand it directly to the wife and tell her "Fred lent this too me and I am returning it."  I was never taken up on it, but it was fun.

Other little phrases: 
"You better buy it now, you want to get it before the hoarders do."
"Guns always have less recoil with good hearing protection in place....wanna shoot my .460 Weatherby?"
" I remember when....."
" Joe and I traded that pistol back and forth every few months and every time for $5 more than the last.  Then old Roy comes along, buys it and moves out of town.  Roy really went and messed it up a good living, because we were both making money off of that pistol."
"That coffee tastes just like mom used to make...except she didn't pi$$ in hers."

-Ron

-Ron

Last edited by r_zerr on 3/6/2017, 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

r_zerr

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 3/6/2017, 1:52 pm

"But my real collectin' is Model 70s."

+1
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 3/6/2017, 2:16 pm

STEVE SAMELAK wrote:"How is that 45 different from the others you have"?  Well it's one I didn't have yet.
"Same way those size 8 shoes you just brought home differ from the other 25 pairs of size 8 that you already have, Dear."

I'm far more likely to bring home parts, accessories or reloading supplies than a full gun.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by r_zerr 3/6/2017, 3:58 pm

"Same way those size 8 shoes you just brought home differ from the other 25 pairs of size 8 that you already have, Dear."

Can you tell me how much those used shoes of yours can be sold for?

r_zerr

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 3/6/2017, 4:43 pm

r_zerr wrote:"Same way those size 8 shoes you just brought home differ from the other 25 pairs of size 8 that you already have, Dear."

Can you tell me how much those used shoes of yours can be sold for?
 If you are willing to sell your pistol collection, then you don't really have the disease.  Sorry, I mean hobby.

My wife would tell me that the consignment store would happily take them IF she were ever to want to sell them.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 3/6/2017, 11:01 pm

Jack wrote:
But my real collectin' is Model 70s.
You can never have enough of those.

My latest passion seems to be military ww1 and before pistols...Still looking for a Webley 455 target model.  And I'd also like to get a S&W 1950 target in 44 special.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down