Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone have plans for a DIY turning target.

+7
Oleg G
LenV
Wobbley
Froneck
Rob Kovach
jmdavis
zanemoseley
11 posters

Go down

Anyone have plans for a DIY turning target. Empty Anyone have plans for a DIY turning target.

Post by zanemoseley 3/31/2017, 11:20 am

I've seen plans using a windshield wiper motor but I want one with a control box of some sort that has a timer for turning 10 and 20 second strings. I'm fairly mechanical but not great with automated type electronics.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Anyone have plans for a DIY turning target. Empty Re: Anyone have plans for a DIY turning target.

Post by jmdavis 3/31/2017, 11:27 am

I bought one from taxmanky last year. It is largely wood for replacibility and works well. It was the least expensive option short of completely home built. Check the classified section here for his link.and more info.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Anyone have plans for a DIY turning target. Empty Re: Anyone have plans for a DIY turning target.

Post by zanemoseley 3/31/2017, 12:26 pm

Yup, I stumbled on his web site.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 3/31/2017, 6:50 pm

Anyone using this one.

http://freedomtech.duckdns.org/index_files/TurningTargets.htm

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 3/31/2017, 11:28 pm

My buddy has a prototype that uses arduino and a dc servo.  It's really neat, but not ready for publication.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 4/1/2017, 12:22 am

Years ago vendors at Perry were selling them that uses Home TV Antenna Rotor. I made a timer so that if I or Adam wanted to practice it would operate the turning system at the club. Instead of voice I used a beep. Unit would beep 4 times separated by 3 seconds. After the last beep and again 3 seconds a relay would operate to trigger the clubs turning system. I would think a simple timer can be coupled to an antenna rotor to make a target turning system.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 4/1/2017, 7:41 am

Antenna rotor?  Do they still make those?
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/1/2017, 8:45 am

Wobbley wrote:Antenna rotor?  Do they still make those?
Yep, you get them at Radio Shack....oh, yea.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 4/1/2017, 7:47 pm

With greatest respect to Ed Hall, he has several plans for turning targets posted at the Star Reloaders site:

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 4/1/2017, 11:09 pm

With most home connected via cable TV antennas are almost gone but rotors are used for FM radio. Plus with all those rotors being used years ago I bet ebay as quite a few used versions.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 4/2/2017, 12:13 pm

Greetings,

I have a target turner built by Frank Thomas, RIP.

He modified an antennae turning motor.

I believe he said he sourced most all parts from Radio Shack.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 4/2/2017, 1:03 pm

Froneck wrote:With most home connected via cable TV antennas are almost gone but rotors are used for FM radio. Plus with all those rotors being used years ago I bet ebay as quite a few used versions.
There are bubches of TV Rotors on Amazon.  I use one on a HD TV antenna.  I also a friends that do also.  They seam a little slow to turn a target with.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 4/2/2017, 1:55 pm

Granted rotors are slow but if used in practice any movement could be taken as time ends or only when full faced does time start. However a sprocket like connected to a bicycle peddle  connected to the Rotor and a much smaller one connected to the shaft supporting the target can increase speed since there is little load. I'm sure the junk yards have many old bicycles to get parts.
 More advanced builders can check HGR in Euclid Ohio. They sell all kinds of used industrial stuff. They have many small gear motors some run on 12 volts. Some relays and micro switches (also available at HGR) can make a great turning system. However they sell stuff as it becomes available so constant watching the site will be necessary to get all the parts.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by teg2658 4/2/2017, 7:38 pm

The last ones Frank Thomas made were with a windshield wiper motor, I own one, a friend of mine has it. Really quick, skidders are nearly impossible. The control box appears to be Radio Shack parts.
Tom Ginovsky

teg2658

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 4/4/2017, 5:47 pm

Rob Kovach wrote:My buddy has a prototype that uses arduino and a dc servo.  It's really neat, but not ready for publication.

Rob, is your buddy planning on doing a detailed build guide once he gets it done?

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by smdial 9/8/2022, 9:21 pm

smdial

http://indy1800.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down