Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software

+21
weber1b
rodney
-TT-
clark2245
Joe Morgan
Wes Lorenz
David Donley
fc60
TonyH
cdrt
kgwhite
bdutton
jmdavis
J.Ack
ChipEck
farmboy
carykiteboarder
fpk
CR10X
Ed Hall
Rob Kovach
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software Empty John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software

Post by Rob Kovach 9/4/2017, 3:07 pm

Folks,

Attached is a full version of John Dreyer's "Tournament" software.

I discussed putting a free version of the software on the forum with John's widow and she thought it was a great way to extend John's legacy.

There are a number of very smart software developers on the forum and I'm hoping that bugs that John never got around to fixing can be fixed here with updated versions that are more compatible with current MS Excel versions could be posted and supported here on the forum by the members. Just add any bugs to this thread and add new versions to the thread with v.mm-yy as the version number with the mm being the month and the yy as the last 2 digits of the year.

The following conditions of use apply and are considered accepted by anyone who downloads the file(s):

• the software is not to be resold
  • no one shall profit from future versions based on the original code
  • future versions will always be known as "John Dreyer's Tournament"
  • The password to unlock the formulas is jd111

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9cu8hulj8o2njj/Tournament.exe?dl=0

Also, let me know if anyone has trouble with my dropbox link.....

Last edited by Rob Kovach on 9/4/2017, 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software Empty Re: John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software

Post by Ed Hall 9/4/2017, 4:10 pm

Thank you for providing this package.  I might suggest a little extra info for the version number, though.  If more than one change is made within a single month, they would not be distinguishable.  It would also be nice if changes were linked in some manner to the change author.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software Empty Re: John Dreyer's "Tournament" Match Director software

Post by CR10X 9/4/2017, 8:12 pm

Thanks for making this available.

If possible, can you also find and make available the last version of StatOffice7?

As opposed to the Tournament version, I found it easier to use for most 1 to 50 competitor matches as far as making entries, entering scores, producing reports and mailings for Conventional (Precision) Pistol 900, 1800 and 2700 tournaments.   

Thanks again.

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 9/4/2017, 10:24 pm

We have permission to share StateOffice7 as well with the same conditions, but I don't have a copy of that, nor do I know the password to update any bugs.

If anyone has that info, please send me a message or email: kovach_robert@hotmail.com
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fpk 9/4/2017, 10:37 pm

This is fantastic.  I'll check it out and see how it is put together.  Likely the best way is to create a GitHub repo for this and make changes that way.  I'll post observations once I have a chance to look through what's there.

fpk

http://brazosprecision.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fpk 9/4/2017, 10:54 pm

CR10X wrote:Thanks for making this available.

If possible, can you also find and make available the last version of StatOffice7?
Do you mean StarOffice? As in the way to run spreadsheets without Excel?

fpk

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 9/5/2017, 5:17 am

Rob:  I have a copy of StatOffce7 and will send it sometime this week.

fpk: No, not StarOffice. When John started working on match software, the first released versions were called "StatOffice".  He went through several revisions and some of us were beta testers and provided suggestions, reported bugs, etc.  StatOffice7 was the last version before he started the version called Tournament.  

Quite few of our local match directors, including myself, use StatOffice7 since we were using it before Tournament came out. As Excel was updated ,a couple of macro run bugs showed up, but they just stop the process and you can continue when it does.  Nothing crashes the macros completely (yet).  

Tournament was developed to address many types of shooting matches, I don't think it limited the number of competitors by classification, etc. But by doing so it required some additional steps, changed the look and some other steps you needed to do in the process.  However, you could transfer your competitor archive directly from StatOffce7 to Tournament, which did save a lot of reentry.

Thanks again for setting this up.

Cecil

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by fpk 9/5/2017, 7:22 am

CR10X wrote:fpk: No, not StarOffice. When John started working on match software, the first released versions were called "StatOffice".  He went through several revisions and some of us were beta testers and provided suggestions, reported bugs, etc.  StatOffice7 was the last version before he started the version called Tournament.  
Ah, I see.  When I searched for it the only things that turned up in google where the messages on these few threads in this forum. Thanks for clearing it up.

I have never used any of John's software, but am a programmer and look forward to helping with this project.

paul

fpk

Back to top Go down

Post by carykiteboarder 9/5/2017, 9:24 am

I would also be willing to help.  I'm a (retired) software engineer and am proficient in Excel.

It would be nice if a couple of the users would list their top priority changes.  Rather than an exhaustive list, let's get a short list to get things started and prove that we can make modifications as a team.
carykiteboarder
carykiteboarder

Back to top Go down

Post by farmboy 9/5/2017, 8:34 pm

carykiteboarder wrote:I would also be willing to help.  I'm a (retired) software engineer and am proficient in Excel.

It would be nice if a couple of the users would list their top priority changes.  Rather than an exhaustive list, let's get a short list to get things started and prove that we can make modifications as a team.
It would be nice if it could run in excel in OS X not just windows excel
farmboy
farmboy

Back to top Go down

Post by fpk 9/5/2017, 8:38 pm

Has anyone been able to unlock the sheets using the password above? I have tried variations of capitalization of it, as well as additional 1s.  If no one has succeeded, then I'll figure out how to break into it...

fpk

Back to top Go down

Post by fpk 9/5/2017, 8:48 pm

farmboy wrote:
carykiteboarder wrote:I would also be willing to help.  I'm a (retired) software engineer and am proficient in Excel.

It would be nice if it could run in excel in OS X not just windows excel
Depends on how much activex is used. If it is just macros it should be easy to work. Once we get the sheets unlocked we can hopefully tell what is going on in there.

fpk

Back to top Go down

Post by fpk 9/5/2017, 9:09 pm

fpk wrote:Has anyone been able to unlock the sheets using the password above? I have tried variations of capitalization of it, as well as additional 1s.  If no one has succeeded, then I'll figure out how to break into it...
OK, Chris Miceli was messing around and got the password figured out.  "a1%" will unprotect the sheets for anyone that is interested. The "jd111" password unprotects the workbook.

fpk

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 9/6/2017, 5:50 am

Thanks for the update.  It appears that for my version, "a1%" also works for StatOffice7, both the sheets and workbook.

Glen, I'll get a copy to you if you would like to take a look at it.

Thanks again to everyone!

Cecil

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by ChipEck 9/6/2017, 7:23 pm

Thanks for posting.
ChipEck
ChipEck

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Ack 9/6/2017, 8:54 pm

I would recommend posting updates as v.yy-mm, versions will progress in a more logical way if you use year then month. Otherwise if there was an update in December of 2017, and another in January of 2018, the versions would be v.12-17 and v.01-18. 

Rob, feel free to delete my post if you disagree to avoid confusion!

Jason

J.Ack

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 9/7/2017, 11:22 am

Thanks Rob. This is a big help for match directors who began in the past couple of years and were struggling with make-do spread sheets.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by bdutton 9/18/2017, 7:30 pm

CR10X wrote:Rob:  I have a copy of StatOffce7 and will send it sometime this week.

fpk: No, not StarOffice. When John started working on match software, the first released versions were called "StatOffice".  He went through several revisions and some of us were beta testers and provided suggestions, reported bugs, etc.  StatOffice7 was the last version before he started the version called Tournament.  

Quite few of our local match directors, including myself, use StatOffice7 since we were using it before Tournament came out. As Excel was updated ,a couple of macro run bugs showed up, but they just stop the process and you can continue when it does.  Nothing crashes the macros completely (yet).  

Tournament was developed to address many types of shooting matches, I don't think it limited the number of competitors by classification, etc. But by doing so it required some additional steps, changed the look and some other steps you needed to do in the process.  However, you could transfer your competitor archive directly from StatOffce7 to Tournament, which did save a lot of reentry.

Thanks again for setting this up.

Cecil
I have a copy of StatOffice 8.1 which I preferred using over the Tournament app.  Any interest in getting the version I have available for download?
bdutton
bdutton

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 9/18/2017, 8:15 pm

i would be interested if it works more like StatOffice 7 than Tournament.  I never upgraded past version 7.  Like you I really liked the StatOffice format and simplicity.  The export function was just right for keeping the bulletins and getting the entry list into Word for mailing labels.   

Thanks.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 9/20/2017, 11:12 am

bdutton,

I would love to have a copy of StatOffice 8.1 and StatOffice 7 to share.

Please email me your version and I will post it on the forum for all to use.

kovach_robert@hotmail.com
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bdutton 9/22/2017, 2:01 pm

email sent
bdutton
bdutton

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 10/29/2017, 11:47 am

I am using statiffice 7 and I've run into an issue with a 22 only shooter winning the overal aggregate. I can't figure out how to deal with this. Does anyone have any ideas?
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by bdutton 10/29/2017, 11:52 am

Make two separate match spreadsheets.  One for the .22 only 2700.  The other for the regular 270 and put '0' in the CF and 45 scores for any .22 only shooters.
bdutton
bdutton

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 10/29/2017, 11:53 am

That would work I guess. Thanks
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by kgwhite 2/22/2018, 6:54 am

Did anyone actually take over the maintenance and support of Tournament? I saw some talk of setting up a git hub and a few people volunteering ... just wondering if there was some follow through.

kgwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next