Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freedom Technologies Personal Turning Target Controller

+13
Chris Miceli
jglenn21
Sc0
KBarth
Shoffman4
james r chapman
Oleg G
mspingeld
Anatoly
freedomtech
JimH
Multiracer
zanemoseley
17 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Freedom Technologies Personal Turning Target Controller - Page 2 Empty Freedom Technologies Personal Turning Target Controller

Post by zanemoseley Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

I got an exciting email today from Fenton at Freedom Technologies. He has had a more full featured turning target system for some time but it was a bit more expensive than I was looking for to practice and sort of targeted to running a whole line.

His new system (Personal Turning Target Controller) is battery powered and uses your cell phone Wi-fi to communicate with the controller.

The new system does not have audible commands but has a preset delay, currently set at 6 seconds after you hit the button to select the desired cycle, check out his YouTube videos. I mentioned to him that the 6 seconds seemed a bit quick, he offered to have it set to something else, I'm leaning toward about 12 seconds which is approximately when "ready on the right" command is given then have it edge away from you at 3 seconds which is the approximate of the "the line is ready" command. I'm still waiting to hear from him to see how easily these times can be manipulated if at all by the end user. He seems very eager to get input from shooters. I may see if he will create an account so he can discuss the system openly with the forum.

I've asked to buy one of the first production units, he's currently waiting on the batteries.

Here is the product page including links to his videos showing the function.

http://freedomtech.duckdns.org/index_files/pttc.htm

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Freedom Technologies Personal Turning Target Controller - Page 2 Empty Re: Freedom Technologies Personal Turning Target Controller

Post by jglenn21 Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:20 pm

I emailed them and got this answer from Fenton Jones about using it for a larger ( 2' X 3' target backer):

Thanks for asking. At this point I'm going to say no. The system was designed for 50 and 75 foot targets. We do not want to provide systems that don't meet your needs or damage our reputation, the weight and forces required to rotate a target that large exceed our pttc's capabilities. We can however provide a controller with a dry contact output that you could use to control a higher powered turning mechanism.

Thanks

Fenton
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Freedom Technologies Personal Turning Target Controller - Page 2 Empty Re: Freedom Technologies Personal Turning Target Controller

Post by zanemoseley Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:48 pm

Well my controller came today and it works like a champ with the Bullseye Timer. I've got an AR500 plate that I'm going to integrate into a hanger to protect the controller.

The bad news is this thing is so neat I want to buy a LP50 to practice timed/rapid fire in my basement. Just one more pistol, I just keep telling myself that.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:24 pm

Make yourself a 22 backstop Zane. I shot in my basement for years
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by freedomtech Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:13 am

I would just like to clarify my short answer to jglenn21. A target larger than 12”x12” should be self supporting and in an outdoor setting will also need lower support of some sort to keep it vertical in the wind. That is if you want it to last any length of time. I will be building and testing a unit to handle a 2’x3’ target and will post something to look at when it’s complete. Please bear with us and excuse my short answer.

freedomtech

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:19 am

Perfect

Thanks Fenton
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:56 am

freedomtech wrote:I would just like to clarify my short answer to jglenn21. A target larger than 12”x12” should be self supporting and in an outdoor setting will also need lower support of some sort to keep it vertical in the wind. That is if you want it to last any length of time. I will be building and testing a unit to handle a 2’x3’ target and will post something to look at when it’s complete. Please bear with us and excuse my short answer.
if you can hang a 22x25 cardboard backer from the target turner id say you have a great product started

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by freedomtech Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:41 pm

I have posted a new video showing a very simple solution to supporting the bottom of the target with the PTTC. The video also includes a short wind test with the supports installed. Would love to hear any comments. The video is at https://youtu.be/tdHhWpZN9DA

freedomtech

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:18 pm

freedomtech wrote:I have posted a new video showing a very simple solution to supporting the bottom of the target with the PTTC. The video also includes a short wind test with the supports installed. Would love to hear any comments. The video is at https://youtu.be/tdHhWpZN9DA
Looks like a 50ft target which is shot indoors

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by KBarth Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:46 pm

freedomtech wrote:I have posted a new video showing a very simple solution to supporting the bottom of the target with the PTTC. The video also includes a short wind test with the supports installed. Would love to hear any comments. The video is at https://youtu.be/tdHhWpZN9DA
Good idea, I'm only using a repair center so your controller works great for me.  Excellent product
KBarth
KBarth

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:50 am

I just ordered a Hyskore Target Hound so I can make a mobile stand to take to the range. I also bought a AR500 plate about 14" x 9" to build into the top to protect the controller from errant shots. I like the idea with the dowels to help with wind, we have some 1" x 1" x 3" "L" brackets at work that may work really well too. I'll post a picture when I get it done.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:22 am

Zane,

Very interested in your project. I want to buy the controller to use at the range with 25 yard repair centers. I have been trying to come up with a wooden frame design, which can be taken apart and put back together quickly (at least a top half and a bottom half) to fit into the back of the car for range trips. Not overly successful so far. When you are done, I would be curious to see the pictures - I am sure I'll be able to borrow your ideas.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by freedomtech Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:27 pm

I thought I would take a minute and update everyone on our progress.
We have successfully completed live fire tests on the magnetic mounting option. We fired several rounds of .22 and .45 and it worked like a champ. It has also been used in all of our videos thus far including the bottom support / wind test so that option will continue to be available.

We have also finally found an I-phone to test with and I have made an attempted to contact the developer of the bullseye range commands app to see if he would be willing to add pttc control to his app, fingers crossed.

We are also working on the 2'x3' target operation but have more to do before we make a definitive decision on that.

freedomtech

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Finally got my target stand done. I used a Hyskore Target Hound base which is $25 off Amazon, a 9" x14" AR500 plate off EBay for $30, used poplar uprights and a 3/4" plywood case. It can be broken down quickly for transport, 8 bolts come out to take the legs off the base and upper assembly. I used L brackets to create the wind braces instead of dowels, this allows their location to be tweaked easier. The overall height is 70" which puts the center of the target at 55".

I'll get some drawings posted to save you guys some time.

Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/J1BF5lHVXHs

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:52 pm

Nice Zane.  My only comment is that you might need to cover the AR500 plate for some ranges.  A piece of 3/4 MDF should be fine.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:54 pm

Why would you cover it? Splatter concerns?

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:06 pm

Yes.  Some ranges don’t allow private steel at 25 yards.  I know my range doesn’t.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:48 pm

Ok, my range should be fine especially since its just protection instead of the main target. Build according to your local range rules.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:38 am

Great job, Zane! Thanks for sharing. Drawings will be highly appreciated.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by freedomtech Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:43 am

I think Zane has set the standard. Really well done. His idea using the l-brackets is also a very good one. Being able to adjust the brackets is important I'm finding out while setting up the 25 and 50 yard target stand.

The 2'x 3' target idea is a definite no, the weight and mass is far too much for the PTTC, it turns it but struggles and it's very slow. We are fine tuning the 21x24 and feel we will get it figured out.

No response from yet the range command app developer.

freedomtech

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:42 pm

Well I took the target controller out for its maiden voyage today and it passed with flying colors. I took some lead bars to lay across the stand and it stayed rock solid, I do think you'd have to increase the footprint if you wanted it to stand up to a direct hit to the AR500 plate without falling over.

I shot 100 rounds of 22lr and 100 rounds of 45, so a total of 40 rounds plus the occasional turning to check shots and the battery lasted just fine.

I had no issues with reception between the controller and phone, all shooting was at 25 yards. The 3M Bluetooth worktunes headphones worked well too.

Setup took maybe 5 minutes and teardown about 2 minutes. I've been using decorative bolts that use an Allen drive, today I used a T handle wrench, next time I'll take a drill with Allen bit, should cut those times in half.

So far I'm super pleased. This is the type system I've wanted for years, its wireless, affordable and uses an app to control everything. As long as it lasts its a steal, all other systems I've seen run $600 - $1500. I've got about $250 into it for controller, target hound stand, AR500 plate, lumber and thr 3M Bluetooth Worktunes.

I'm going to try and have a PDF with stand plans up early next week.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:00 pm

I forgot to mention that is was pretty breezy at the range today, the "L" brackets did a great job of stabilizing the target. My guess is it would be good to go with up to 10-15 mph winds, after that I'm not sure.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:00 am

Good work! waiting for the plans...
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:20 am

Folks, inspired by Zane, I "reverse-engineered" his stand design and created a plan. The attached PDF file has a stationary stand plan on the first page and a turning stand plan on the second page. 

In the stationary stand, the target backer slides between two pairs of 2x2s and does not need to be stapled to the stand.
For the turning stand, the overall height came to 71 inches vs 70 in Zane's version. This is because I made the plywood piece holding the AR500 plate 10 inches high, vs. 9 inches, which would match the plate. There are probably other differences with the original but it should work. Both stands feature optional steel connectors, made of 2x4 tubing, which allow them to be disassembled for easy transport. These connectors are being manufactured for me by a member of this forum. If he wants to offer his services to other interested parties, I am sure that he will chime in Smile

The plans should be self-explanatory but I will gladly answer any questions.
DISCLAIMER: I haven't yet built the actual stands and will do so over the next few weeks, as time allows.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16g_fGdiVsJYqg-4qET2f-7lfsl8N9Go1/view?usp=sharing

Zane, your design works, you've proven it! Please share your plans as well, when you can. Smile
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:52 pm

Here are the plans. I created them hurriedly after drawing custom cabinets already for 8 hours. If you guys see anything that needs changing let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0vbfrj91zuoasf/Freedom%20Tech%20Turning%20Target%20Stand.pdf?dl=0

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:04 pm

Oleg, a bit of feedback on your design, I can't tell for sure but it appears you may not have left enough room for the cardboard "tab" up top to rotate freely. It also looks like its going to be really tight for the rear L bracket. Not trying to whiz all over your design just possibly saving some frustration and lumber.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next