Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Briley barrel bushing

+7
robert84010
oldsalt444
james r chapman
Tim:H11
Multiracer
LenV
hengehold
11 posters

Go down

Briley barrel bushing Empty Briley barrel bushing

Post by hengehold Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:29 pm

I am just getting started in the BE game (don't even have pistols yet). I came across the Briley barrel bushing while looking at 1911 accurizing options at Brownells. My question is, are these commonly used in BE or are they less desirable than the tried and true fitting of a solid bushing to an oversized barrel?

Here is a link to the Briley 1911 bushing.
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/barrel-parts/barrel-bushings/1911-spherical-bushing-prod1828.aspx

Thanks for your input,

-T

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Briley barrel bushing Empty Re: Briley barrel bushing

Post by LenV Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:16 am

I like using them. I have one of each size so I can get a perfect fit. Got disgusted with my measuring capability. Keep it well oiled and they work great.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:51 am

Curious,
Did you borrow pistols to get your classification from NRA ?

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:03 am

I shot a little bit while in the USMC. Used the 1911 NMpistols made in Quantico and rack grade Berettas. I prefer the grip of a 1911 so am planning to get a 9mm 1911 RO for CMP. My goal is to get distinguished with a pistol.i am trying to figure out if I can modify it to become a NM or if I have to pay someone else to do it.
Thanks,
-T

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:39 am

I don’t know anything about the Briley Bushings - no experience with them. But if you’re just starting out then you have two really good options in front of you. Watch the commercial row postings like a hawk and look for a good used wad gun already built or accurized and ready to go - or - buy a Springfield Armory Range Officer either new or used. The Range Officer lets you get into this game on the cheap. And while you learn and improve as a shooter and competitor you can save up and shop for who to accurize it later on, and what options you might be interested in.

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:29 am

Briley bushings, some 'smiths like them, some don't.
I have several and haven't had any issues.
Only thing is the barrel can't have a steep step. A straight or slight stepped barrel worked best with them.
Of course for the same price I think you can get an exact fit bushing from EGW(?)
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm no gunsmith, but I do like to work on my guns. I had an issue with one of my 45s that was stringing the shots vertically, like 4-5" @ 25. The barrel was "springing" in the slide. This is where the Briley bushing shines as it will eliminate that problem. After installing, the groups shrunk way down to 1". Just be sure to measure your barrel and order the right size - .001" larger than your barrel at the bushing end. They're fine for bullseye, just keep them clean and lubed.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:07 pm

hengehold wrote:I shot a little bit while in the USMC. Used the 1911 NMpistols made in Quantico and rack grade Berettas. I prefer the grip of a 1911 so am planning to get a 9mm 1911 RO for CMP.  My goal is to get distinguished with a pistol.i am trying to figure out if I can modify it to become a NM or if I have to pay someone else to do it.
Thanks,
-T
Trevor,
I recommend you just send it off to a known good bullseye gunsmith and forget about "trying to figure out..." Since you mentioned becoming distinguished is your goal and not becoming a gunsmith. Just concentrate on improving your shooting. That can take up a bit of your time and it is what matters. It is real easy to get mission creep here.

Find a gunsmith you have confidence in and if your gunsmith recommends Briley bushings, great.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:09 pm

I've installed quite a few of the, have them in my guns too. They work good if kept oiled as Len mentioned.But I don't follow their instructions. I don't get the ring as stated .001" larger than barrel Diameter, I get it .001 smaller and fit it, same with the bushing. Though reversed. Only thing I don't like is that the ring fits loose in the bushing. When I get some time I plan to make an Aluminum Bronze ring to fit better in the bushing but that list of things I want to do is long!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:17 pm

Froneck wrote:I've installed quite a few of the, have them in my guns too. They work good if kept oiled as Len mentioned.But I don't follow their instructions. I don't get the ring as stated .001" larger than barrel Diameter, I get it .001 smaller and fit it, same with the bushing. Though reversed. Only thing I don't like is that the ring fits loose in the bushing. When I get some time I plan to make an Aluminum Bronze ring to fit better in the bushing but that list of things I want to do is long!
Oh, good idea. I measure and measure and still get them too big. I never thought about getting them smaller and making the barrel fit. I guess I like spending more then I need too. Shocked

Briley barrel bushing 20171213
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:27 pm

Could you get the ring a few thousandths under size and then expand it slightly to fit in the bushing tighter. Then size the ID of the ring to fit the barrel.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:45 pm

Greetings,

I noticed that the ring is loose fit to the bushing also.

Then I got to thinking, the barrel expands with the pressure of the fired cartridge.

Perhaps the loose fit is to prevent the ring from splitting.

I also notice that the S&W Model 52 bushings are a loose fit also.

Piezo devices are glued to the barrel and measure the expansion as a function of pressure during proof testing.

Need a Mechanical Engineer to calculate the expansion of the barrel at 10K to 15K PSI.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:15 pm

The reason it’s loose is so that it can move.  If it couldn’t move it wouldn’t be able to do its function.  Ebpve a straight bushing has clearance at the barrel to bushing fit.

The Bailey allows the barrel to have a longer fit surface.  You could fit the entire length of the ring.  With a narrow gap, say .0003, the positional variance is very small.  There is an additional gap ring to bushing but that would tend to ride to one side rather than random.  To do all this precise work however requires machines not in the average gunsmiths hands (centered precision grinders, hones, etc.).   

So to each their own.. I’ve used them.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:42 pm

The term "loose" is subjective.

Referring to the slide to frame fit as being "loose" would be reason for re-work.

There is a difference between having enough clearance to operate and being "loose". I haven't used a Briley bushing so I'm not familiar with what "loose" means in regard to the ring to bushing fit mentioned above. 

I do precision grinding and honing though, so I sometimes view things like this differently since I have that capability.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:18 pm

The ring rotates in the bushing, a running fit. Highly accurate.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down