Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Briley Spherical bushing on a flared barrel

3 posters

Go down

Briley Spherical bushing on a flared barrel Empty Briley Spherical bushing on a flared barrel

Post by tceva Mon May 21, 2018 8:09 pm

I have acquired a new RO Elite.  (Exchange of colateral) Slide fit is good, trigger not so good, barrel to slide ok, and bushing to barrel not so good.
I purchased a Briley Spherical bushing .001 over the barrel OD at the end per instructions, hoping to remedy the bushing to barrel fit.  
Shot it tonight and the first several rounds were right on call.  I was thinking I won the lottery.  Then the bushing started to hang up on the barrel taper.
Tomorrow I was going to polish the barrel to a shine to see if that would help.  Any one have a similar experience? Resolution?
Alex
tceva
tceva

Back to top Go down

Briley Spherical bushing on a flared barrel Empty Re: Briley Spherical bushing on a flared barrel

Post by james r chapman Mon May 21, 2018 9:13 pm

They seem to work best with straight barrels or very slight taper angles.
always hanged up on a severe undercut barrel.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Briley Spherical bushing on a flared barrel Empty Re: Briley Spherical bushing on a flared barrel

Post by LenV Mon May 21, 2018 9:24 pm

I keep them well oiled/greased. I have never had one hang up on either of my RO barrels but I run them dripping.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by tceva Tue May 22, 2018 5:15 am

Thanks Gents.  Briley said it would work.  It is a real nice fit, but not if it won't run.
I think I'll polish the taper and try again.
Alex
tceva
tceva

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue May 22, 2018 5:50 am

Like Len said, keep it coated with Snail Snot.®️
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Thu May 24, 2018 12:05 am

TW-25B snail snot. Or Wilson Combat "grease" snail snot Laughing
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by tceva Thu May 24, 2018 5:07 am

Len, shot it again last night with a good coating of TW-25.  Did fine for about 25 rounds.  Then started acting up.
I really like the Briley Bushing, but I don't know if it is the best choice for this barrel.  Over time I am sure that it might wear in.  I will call them again and see if I can't speak with one of their smiths for a little guidance.
Thanks for the help.
Alex
tceva
tceva

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Thu May 24, 2018 10:22 am

I only have one more suggestion then. The Briley is designed to roll/tilt inside the bushing. That is why it can fit so tight with a long bearing surface. It is possible the bushing is binding internally prior to lock up. Oil the bushing itself up good and give the inner ring a half turn to create a different pivot point. It could be perfect inside but be less so on the outside of the ring. Just my .02

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Thu May 24, 2018 12:22 pm

It's also possible your ring insert has too sharp an edge.
Maybe polish a slight radius on the leading edge.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tceva Fri May 25, 2018 5:54 am

The bearing portion of the bushing comes out easy enough.  Both of you have made valid points.  The actual bearing may not rotating without restriction.  Nothing a little jewelers rouge and grease can't address.
Thank you 
Alex
tceva
tceva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down